As a community school, we will communicate and collaborate with students, parents, families, community members and outside agencies and organizations to help students grow to become respectful, responsible, safe and successful citizens who understand the importance of being active participants in their community who give back.
- We believe in providing a safe and supportive environment in order to meet the needs of our students and their families.
- We believe that communication and collaboration between students, parents, families, community members and outside organizations will enable us to better identify and meet individual student and family needs.
- We believe that all students are capable of growth and that progress is as important as mastery.
In the 1930's the Randolph County Board of Education purchased the company store in Coalton and made it into a high school with classes beginning in 1934. Coalton School became a six-year high school in 1942. At this time the enrollment was 153 students. The first addition to the new twelve year school building was the Industrial Arts and Home Economics building which opened in 1951-52. The rest of the building was completed for classes in the 1954-55 school term. The enrollment was 250 students with a graduating class of 25. Athletic events and graduations were held in the old gymnasium across the street until it was condemned in 1967. For the next nine years, students went without a gym. Basketball games were played in Beverly. The Coalton baseball team was formed in 1972 and captured the State Class A Championship in 1985. In the 1974-75 school year, Winona Spurgeon formed the first school band with 43 students in grades 7 through 12. The following year the Coalton Band and Choral Auxiliary was organized to support the new band and vocal classes. More rooms were built onto the existing structure which then housed kindergarten through sixth grade. Norton Elementary School was consolidated with Coalton Twelve Year School at the beginning of the 1979-80 school year making Coalton Twelve Year School the only school operating in the Roaring Creek District. The class of 1993 was the last class to graduate from Coalton Twelve Year School, as grades 6 - 12 were consolidated into Elkins Middle school and Elkins High School beginning in the 1993-94 school year. A preschool program through Even Start opened in the fall of 1994. The Randolph County Board of Education began offering preschool at Coalton Elementary School in the fall of 2005. The school now houses between 150 and 170 students annually in preschool through 5th grade. Coalton Elementary School is the heart of the Roaring Creek District with the facility being used regularly for community events. In addition, the school offers many extra curricular activities for students and families including youth basketball, 5th grade band, carnivals, craft fairs and an annual Backl to School Picnic .